Information from my Grandfather Joe Phillips scrapbook. Joe Phillips was a brother-in-law to Senator John Toomey, Jr.
Scanned copies of the Senator John Toomey letters to Senator Howard Baker, Sr. and his second wife Irene regarding his lineage. This from Mr. Arthur Franke of Maine
Descendants of John Toomey
(1) Patrick Toomey. was born in 1781 in Ireland, and married Julia who was born in 1788 in Ireland. 1860 St. Lawrence County, New York Census - Probably not the Patrick I am looking for as the information I am receiving says that Patrick had two son's, John and Daniel.Massena is a town in St. Lawrence County, New York, United States. The population was 13,121 at the 2000 census. The town and its village are named after a hero of the Napoleonic Wars.
The Town of Massena contains a village also called Massena. The town is on the northern border of the county.
The town was first settled around 1792. The land was leased from native Mohawk who called the area, "Nikentsiake, "where the fish live." Unlike much of northern New York, Massena was not completely in the Macomb's Purchase.
Massena was one of the first towns of the county and was incorporated with the county in 1802. The town is named after one of Napoleon's field marshals Andre Massena who commanded around that time. Parts of Massena later separated to form other towns in the county, including Hopkinton in 1805, Louisville in 1810, and Brasher in 1825.
6 + John Toomey b. 1825-1827 d.1904
Patrick Toomey, Jr.
(1) John Toomey, Sr. was born in 1827 in Ireland, and married (2) Margaret Louisa Linehan who was born in 1828 in Ireland. Margare Louisa Linchant died in 1918 and was buried in Potter Cemetery, Huntsville, Scott, Tennessee. John Toomey, Sr. died in 1904.
2 + Angella (Angie) Toomey b. 1859 d. 1940
? Elsworth Toomey b. abt. 1856
4 + Ella Toomey b. 1860 d.a 1936
? Mary Toomey b. 1861
5 + Louisa Warren Toomey b. Jun 1862 d. 27 Jan 1937
6 + John Toomey, Jr. b. Jul 1863 d. 30 Nov 1949
? James Toomey
? Dennis Toomey b. 1866 d. 1896
? Daniel Toomey
7 + Emma Toomey b. Mar 1870 d. 4 Jul 1915
8 + June Toomey b. 30 Jul 1873 d. 29 Jun 1920
Much of this information regarding John Toomey, Sr. is coming from Arthur Franke, Maine. He is working on a possibility that John Toomey, Sr. is the son of Cornelius Toomey of Franklin, New York
Huron, Houghton, Michigan has the following family is listed in the 1870 census: (Page 1 - Page 2)
John Toomey 35
Margaret Toomey 31
Mary Toomey 9
Margaret Toomey 7
Hannora Toomey 5
Johanna Toomey 2
And listed on the same page are this family of Dwyer:
Cornelius Dwyer 36
Margaret Dwyer 35
Michael Dwyer 10
Johanna Dwyer 12
Edmund Dwyer 8
Dennis Dwyer 5
Ellen Dwyer 3
Mary Dwyer 1
Also in the same District in Michigan are:
Cornelius Murphy 36
Margaret Murphy 32
Denis Toomey 32
Mary Toomey 22
In 1880 Census we have John and Margaret Toomey with a daughter Ella and a teenage son, name unknown, born in NY, age 16 in Morgan County. The copy of the census is poor though.
John TOOMEY Self M Male W 53 IRE Farming IRE IRE
Margret TOOMEY Wife M Female W 50 IRE House Work IRE IRE
Ella TOOMEY Dau S Female W 22 NY House Work IRE IRE
TOOMEY Dau S Female 18 NY In School IRE IRE
TOOMEY Son Male W 16 NY Works On Farm IRE IRE
TOOMEY Dau S Female W 14 MI House Work IRE IRE
TOOMEY Son S Male W 12 MI Works On Farm IRE IRE
TOOMEY Other Male W ... MI IRE IRE
Census Place District 2, Morgan, Tennessee
Family History Library Film 1255273
NA Film Number T9-1273
Page Number 532B
In 1891 we have voter lists showing a John Toomey Sr. in Morgan County and a John Toomey Jr. in Scott County. The names are actually given using the Senior and Junior designations at that time.
In 1900 Census we have John Sr. and Margaret still in Morgan County, still with daughter Ella born in NY. We also have John Jr., born in NY, in Scott County (Index incorrectly reads first name as James) along with his new wife Bettie and his first two children, Edison and Viola.
In 1910 Census we have John Sr. having died and his widow (index lists as Margaret Tuomey) up in Knox County with her widowed daughter Mrs. Angie Noble, born in NY and her younger daughter Emma, born in Michigan. John Toomey Jr. (index lists as Tormey family) and Bettie Phillips Toomey have finished their family of four in Scott County.
In 1920 Census, Emma and Margaret have both died and so has Bettie Phillips Toomey, so Angie Noble and Ella have moved back to Scott County and are both living with their brother John and his three living children.
In 1930 Census, Ella and Angie Noble are still living with their brother John in Scott County. He is shown as a State Senator in that Census.
Ella is the daughter of John Toomey Sr. per the 1880 census and the sister of the John Toomey Jr. per the 1920 and 1930 Census. Everything fits perfectly.
THIRD GENERATION(3) Angie Toomey, daughter of John Toomey and Margaret Linehan, was born in Jun 1859 in New York, and in 1881, married (9) Frank Noble who was born in Feb 1861 in New York. Angie died in 1940 and was buried in Potter Cemetery, Huntsville, Scott, Tennessee. Frank died before 1930.
Children:10 + Harold A. Noble b. 24 Mar 1882 d. 1940(4) Ella Toomey, daughter of John Toomey and Margaret Linehan, was born in 1860 in Saint Lawrence, New York. Ella died after 1936.
Dynamite Blast Rips Helenwood To Bits
Mrs. Ella Toomey, who was among the injured, is the sister of former state Senator John Toomey. It was understood that the Ex Senator was in a Knoxville hospital at the time of the tragedy.
(2) John1 Toomey, Jr. was born 12 Jul 1861 at St. Lawrence Co., New York, USA, and married Elizabeth (Bettie) Phillips, daughter of Riley Phillips and Elizabeth Ann Betty Chitwood, who was born in 1874 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA. John died on 30 Nov 1949 at Helenwood, Scott Co., Tennessee. Elizabeth (Bettie) died in 1910 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA.
This is J. T. Baker's Grandfather. He served in the Tennessee Senate, 66th General Assembly 1929 - 1931; representing Scott, Morgan, Campbell, Union, Claiborne, Hancock, and Graninger Counties. He was an active promoter and fund-raiser for creation of Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
The Cumberland Chronical, Paid Political Announcement
Click for enlargement
To the Voters of 3rd Senatorial District Go to the Republican Primary and Vote for John Toomey of Scott County
He stands for the immediated development of our tremendous water power resources.
John Toomey's Grandson, James Toomey Baker was in charge of the Water Company in Scott County for years. He was a great inspiration to my work. (Joe Payne)
He stands and has at all times stood for a square deal between capitol and labor.
He stands for economy in government of both county, state and nation.
He is not running on the demerits of any man.
His wide acquaintance over the state, well known qualities of honesty and integrity entitles him to the respect and confidence of all classes.
His age and wide experience in dealing with men is a sufficient guarantee that the third senatorial district will be represented faithfully and without prejudice.
Beware of campagin lies and false reports coming out on the heels of the election.
Election Thursday, Aug. 2, 1928.
This was my Great Great Aunt about who J.T. Baker wrote a book containing her notes from her diary between 1900 and 1907, she was his Grandmother. My mother's great Aunt, for who she was named.
Special to the Journal
Scott County Lumberman John Toomey Dies at 88 Helenwood Dec. 1, 1949 - John Toomey, former State Senator and Veteran Scott County Lumberman, died at nine p.m. yesterday at his home here. He was 88.
Former Senator Toomey also was active in the movement to create Smoky Mountain National Park and was offical timber estimator in the park acquisition. He served in the State Senate during the administration of the late Gov. Austin Peay.
Mr. Toomey is Survived by a daughter, Mrs. James Baker of Huntsville, sons, Fred Toomey of Helenwood and Herbert Toomey of New York City.
Funeral Services will be held here tomorrow at 11 a.m.
2 i Edison Lafayette2 Toomey was born 28 Feb 1896 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA. Edison Lafayette died about 1944 at Dur WW 1.
+ 3 ii Viola Toomey was born on 5 Jan 1898.
+ 4 iii Fred Barthel Toomey was born on 19 Jul 1900.
+ 5 iv Herbert Meigs Toomey was born on 22 Nov 1904.
James Toomey, son of John Toomey and Margaret Linehan, was born 1864 in Saint Lawrence, New York, and married Sarah (Sally) Ann Dewer born 1868. James Toomey died in 1921
(5) Louisa Warren Toomey, daughter of John Toomey and Margaret Linehan, was born in June 1869 in Saint Lawrence, New York, and on 14 Feb 1889 in Morgan, Tennessee, married (11) Augustus C. Williams who was born in Sep 1854 in Tennessee. Louisa died on 27 Jan 1937 in Helenwood, Scott, Tennessee. Augustus C. died in 1919 in Morgan, Tennessee.
WILLIAMS, LOUISA TOOMEY, Helenwood, died 1/27/1937. She was born in 1862 in Augdensburg (presumably Ogdensburg), NY, daughter of John & Margaret Louisa Toomey. She was married to Gus C. Williams of Wartburg. Preceded by son, Gene at age 5 yrs. Survivors: daughter, Enna (Emma); sisters, Mrs. Angie Noble, Ella Toomey; brothers; John Toomey and Dan Toomey; also husband's brothers: Mrs.J. B. Williams, Paris L. Williams, E.M. Williams, Eugene Williams, Dave, Williams, Joe, Sam and Hugh Williams. [Morgan County News]
(7) Emma Toomey, daughter of John Toomey and Margaret Linehan, was born in Mar 1870 in Michigan. Emma died on 4 Jul 1915 in Scott, Tennessee and was buried in Potter Cemetery, Huntsville, Scott, Tennessee.
(8) June Toomey, son of John Toomey and Margaret Linehan, was born 30 Jul 1873 in Michigan, and married (19) Judith Unknown who was born in 1878 in Kentucky. June died on 29 Jun 1920 in Scott, Tennessee and was buried in Potter Cemetery, Huntsville, Scott, Tennessee.
By 1883, they were in the process of organizing a Presbyterian Church. They built their church just a short distance up the road from the schoolhouse were the Baptists were also meeting. Some of their first members were: ELIHU McDONALD, Judge PARKER and family, Dr. NEWMAN, PAT FOSTER and wife, Maggie, JUNE TOOMEY and wife, Mrs. JOHN TOOMEY and FLEM DUNCAN and his wife, CASSIE. This church is no longer in existence, but it stood for many years ‑ until all the above families were gone. It has since been torn down but the beautiful lot belongs to , who lives just across the road from the site. He keeps it mowed and cleaned really well. FOURTH GENERATION
(3) Viola2 Toomey, (John1) was born 5 Jan 1898 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA, and on 15 Mar 1924 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA, married James (Jamie) Washington Baker, son of James F. Baker and Helen Blanche Keen, who was born 23 Mar 1898 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA. Viola died on 20 Apr 1968 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA. James (Jamie) Washington died on 17 Apr 1983 at Onieda, Scott Co., Tennessee, USA. James (Jamie) Washington was married to Adrienne Terry Harrison.
Irene Bernice (Sobodoske)Baker, George Edward Payne, Betty Phillips Payne and Paul Phillips (son of Fred and Bessie Phillips)
This is J. T. Baker's Father. Jamie attended West Point and was an expert marksman.
6 i James Toomey (J.T.)3 Baker was born 12 Apr 1927 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA, and on 10 Jan 1959 at Nevada, USA, married Irene Bernice Sobodoske who was born 9 Sep 1924 at Detroit, Michigan, USA. James Toomey (J.T.) died on 15 Jan 1994 at Knoxville, Knox Co., Tennessee, USA and was buried on 17 Jan 1994 at Huntsville, Scott Co., Tennessee, USA.
A real inspiration to myself and many amateur Genealogists.
+ 7 ii Helen B. Betty Baker was born on 10 Jan 1929.
(7) Helen B. Betty3 Baker, (Viola2 Toomey, John1) was born 10 Jan 1929 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA, and on 22 Mar 1959 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA, married William Ray Vaughn, son of Albert Vaughn and Estelle Coffey, who was born 20 Apr 1931 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA.
8 i William Baker4 Vaughn was born 6 Aug 1960 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA.
9 ii David Evan Vaughn was born 18 Jun 1963 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA.
(4) Fred Barthel2 Toomey, (John1) was born 19 Jul 1900 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA, and married Violet Laxton, daughter of William Laxton and Arteamie, who was born about 1890 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA. Fred Barthel died on 11 Mar 1972 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA. Violet was married to Paris Sutton Tate.
10 i Betty Lou3 Toomey was born 2 Apr 1933 at Scott Co., Tn, and on 26 Sep 1960 at Scott Co., Tn, married Charles Hudson who was born 4 Dec 1924 at Scott Co., Tn. Charles died on 25 Sep 1985 at Scott Co., Tn.
He also married Mona Anna Norris, daughter of Samuel J. Norris and Ella, who was born 11 May 1900 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA. Mona Anna died on 14 Mar 1930 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA.
11 ii Frances Marion3 Toomey was born 22 Jun 1922 at Terre Haute, Indiana, and on 1 Aug 1941 at Scott Co., Tn, married Frank E. Newport, son of Kirk Newport and Nora Goad, who was born 23 Feb 1912 at Scott Co., Tn.
12 iii John Samuel Toomey was born 7 Mar 1926 at Elgin, Scott Co., Tennessee, USA. John Samuel died in Jan 1975 at Washington, D.C., USA and was buried at Sunbright, Scott Co., Tennessee, USA.
(5) Herbert Meigs2 Toomey, (John1) was born 22 Nov 1904 at Scott Co., Tennessee, USA, and married Helen Ryski, daughter of Joseph Ryski and Kathrine Sneizek, who was born 24 Nov 1924 at USA. Herbert Meigs died in 1994 at Vero Beach, Florida, USA.
After graduating from High School at Columbia Military Academy and while attending the University of Cincinnati, he took his first ride in an airplane. With this love of aviation he took flying lessons under the tutelage of Frank Andre a pioneer aviator around Knoxville and made his first solo flight around 1925.
He aquired a Curtis JN4D "Jenny" World War I surplus trainer and launched himself on a brief barnstorming career.
He continued flying till his death recently while retired from the FFA in Florida. He was quite a good friend of my Grandfather Joe Phillips. It is said he knew the famous Wiley Post well.
13 i Linda3 Toomey was born 3 Jan 1945 at Scott Co., Tn.
14 ii Burice Toomey was born 17 Sep 1947 at Scott Co., Tn.
Return to Joe Payne's Genealogy Page
Return to Claiborne County Homepage